[mythtv] IPTV with an external channel changer

Lincoln lincoln at performaplus.co.nz
Tue Oct 29 03:42:14 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 5:27 p.m., George Nassas wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Lincoln <lincoln at performaplus.co.nz> wrote:
>> when I add an external channel changer (which changes channel via a network request) the iptv source no longer connects to the stream.
>> I can see that this might make sense with an analogue tuner but wondered if we could change it for the iptv tuners? I'm happy to do the work for this and submit a ticket and patch but it would be good to discuss this with a dev who has a better understanding of it that I do.
> An easier alternative is to hang a script off the rec pending system event to have it do the channel change at that point and leave things correct for the rec start which comes moments later. I use a rec pending script to control an antenna rotator for one of my OTA tuners and it has never failed me.
>
> When I was using an external change script, before system events existed, I also noticed that myth would use a change script or tune a stream but not both. I had a local fix to correct this but I'd say the real fix is to get rid of channel change scripts altogether. They're obsolete now that system events are available.
>
> - George

Hi George. Thanks for the tip about using system events - I had wasted a
lot of time trying to figure out what was going on as the user is not
notified at all.

Can we please disable the iptv class support for the external changer,
or at least warn the user that having one specified means myth won't
connect to the socket (since it won't tune the channel).

It seems that its not possible to use iptv with an external changer
specified, so if that is the case, changing support in the class to
false would allow diagnosis from the backend log. If not that then we
should at least add a log entry to say something like 'external changer
specified so not connecting to network socket'. As it currently stands
there are no warnings to go on in the backend.

Does anyone disagree with this?
If no one disagrees I'm happy to create a patch and ticket if someone
has time to get it committed.

Cheers,
Lincoln.