[mythtv] deinterlacers on AMD/ATI VDPAU

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 22:01:02 UTC 2013

On 1 December 2013 06:15, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:

> My issue is that under MythTV for VDPAU decoder I can choose only with:
>
> Bob (2x HW)
> One Field (1x, HW)
> Temporal (1x ,HW)
> Advanced (1x ,HW)
> Temporal (2x ,HW)
> Advanced (2x ,HW)

those are *all* the deinterlacers available via VDPAU.

There's no code to test if a particular deinterlacers is supported or
not. At the time the code was implemented, there was only nvidia , and
all nvidia vdpau cards support all of those.

so if you use one of those deinterlacers and the hw doesn't support
it; well it will just fail along the way: either with an explicit
error or it's just ignored

but you'll still be able to select that deinterlacer regardless.

> I not looked into sources, but "HW" suggest me that all those deinterlcers
> are realized in Nv gfx driver/hw - not in MythTV. So for non-nv hw/blob they
> are not working.

> On-screen result on AMD/ATI are conforming this: no mater what I select,
> AMD/ATI gives me no-deinterlaced picture.
> Maybe I miss something?

myth has no knowledge on how the deinterlacer is implemented. It's
just a single constant value you pass to the vdpau renderer asking to
deinterlace using the requested method.
how it's done after is up to the drivers...

if AMD doesn't support vdpau's deinterlacer; there's nothing you can
do about it at this stage; you don't even have access to the decoded
data as vdpau handle both the decoding and the rendering.

you can do the decoding in software and rendering via vdpau
but if you do decoding via vdpau, it must be render by vdpau