[mythtv] Submitting Feature Request

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 25 01:09:45 UTC 2013

On 03/23/2013 10:38 AM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 23.03.2013 15:16, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> Request #5 - have the mythweb/tv/detail screen make the Category a
>> dropdown, allowing you to change it should it be incorrect. Unless
>> anyone can tell me a better way of doing it, the dropdown would be
>> derived from existing categories with Movies added if it's not there.
>
> An easy way to edit title / subtitle / category_type would be nice.
> Maybe as a pen next to the fields that lets you edit the fields. With
> these three fields you can send out the metadatagrabber to collect
> everything else from themoviedb/thetvdb :)
> A common use case for my recordings is to manually add the episode title
> via a search for the synopsis or reading it from the video as DVB EIT
> does not have a concept of episode title. (There are some fixups for
> some stations that send them in a scrapeable format, but only for some
> channels.)

FWIW, category and category_type are supposed to be uneditable,
guide-provided data, whereas recording group is user-specified
categorization.  The big problem with recording group is that each
recording is only allowed one, but I have a patch in the works that
changes MythTV to replace recording groups with "tags" (aka labels) and
allows an unlimited number of tags per recording.  I'd prefer not
editing the category stuff, but working with recording group and, in the
future, tags for any user-specifiable values.  (But I can't guarantee
when that patch will be done.)

The main reason I don't like the idea of editing category is because it
will add confusion about category vs recording group, and the confusion
will likely be even greater when we have tags.

Mike