[mythtv] Submitting Feature Request

Steve Campbell orcusmaximus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 14:16:53 UTC 2013

Hi Karl,

> > Before I do though, can I have some feedback as to whether what I want
> > to do is sensible or not?
> >
> > Mythweb Feature request 1: Alter the Direct Download filename from
> > "$title - $subtitle.$extension" to "$title - ${season}x$episode -
> > $subtitle. $extension" for recordings which have a known season&
> > episode. The ${season}x$episode would be in the same format as shown
> > on the mythweb/tv/recorded page. This makes it easy to download a few
> > episodes of something and then watch them in order off line.
>
> Sounds good, but I'd switch dynamically between "title - subtitle" and
> "title <one of two season/episode number formats> subtitle".
> See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing

wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing suggests that filename format translations
are available, but I can't find any examples of their use in the
Mythweb code. modules/stream/stream_raw.pl doesn't use them, and
modules/tv/tmpl/default/recorded.php just uses
echo $show->season,'x',str_pad($show->episode,2,"0",STR_PAD_LEFT);

Perhaps they are just used in the Mythtv frontend, and not in Mythweb?

> > Mythweb Feature request 2: Make the Recorded Programs "Show
> > Recordings" dropdown be fully populated on the mythweb/tv/recorded
> > page, even if "All recordings" is not currently selected.
>
> If I understand correctly that is how it works over here, so that would
> be a bugfix. (I sometimes have one entry "UPDATE_FILESIZE <channel>
> <start time> 0" instead of the list)
> After looking at mythweb I'm wondering if you are referring to selecting
> something else then "All Groups" in the first pull down list and still
> showing all recordings in the "Recordings" list?

I only have the one recording group, so I don't get the first pull down list.

Being lazy, a virtue for a programmer :-) , I don't use any of the
advanced recording options. In fact, if I could just click a button to
record a program from the search screen, I'd do that. Make that
request for me to look at #4 !

> > Mythweb Feature request 3: In the Recorded Programs "Show Recordings"
> > dropdown, group together all recordings where the title is only
> > recorded once and call this group 'Unique titles'. The main effect of
> > this is to lump all your movie recordings together.
>
> I like the idea, but I have rules like "Record all with actor X" and
> "Record all movies in HD that got a good rating". Can you extend it to
> also consider recordings with program_type=movie?
> If the idea is to offer "all movies" I'd give it a name that says so.

Yeah, my initial code did extract programs with the Movie category and
do just that. However, this runs foul of programs which are aired with
incorrect categories. In my current set of recorded movies, one has
category 'Entertainment', another 'Drama', and another
'Social/Policical/Economics'. I wanted something bullet proof and
capable of handling incorrectly categorised programs. A 'Unique
titles' set does just this.

I would like to go with a 'Movies' set as you suggest, but to do it
would require
Request #5 - have the mythweb/tv/detail screen make the Category a
dropdown, allowing you to change it should it be incorrect. Unless
anyone can tell me a better way of doing it, the dropdown would be
derived from existing categories with Movies added if it's not there.

How does this sound?

Thanks,
Steve