[mythtv] Debugging DeviceReadBuffer.cpp

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 14 16:29:53 UTC 2013

On 06/14/2013 12:21 PM, Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> On 14 June 2013 17:11, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> It gives up after 128MB
> No, it waits until the end of the recording and then logs that the
> poll took a long time.
>
>> It's a reasonable assumption that if it cannot write for over a minute, something seriously wrong has happened.
> No, it's not trying to write anything, it's polling the DVB device.

But reading and writing are both tightly coupled--if we can't write to
the disk, we could fill up the buffer that's reading from the device or
something...  I don't know what's going on in this (these?) particular
case(s), but it's not as simple as "MythTV shouldn't give up"--it seems
there's a /serious/ failure somewhere, and since MythTV relies on
hardware, if the hardware isn't doing what we need it to do to have a
successful recording, there's not a lot MythTV can do about it.

Mike