[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Removing support for CEA-608 teletext subtitles

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Jul 27 16:48:27 UTC 2013

Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> We are planning to remove MythTV support for CEA-608 based teletext
> captions/subtitles, as of the 0.27 release.  That is to say, 0.26 will
> be the last release with CEA-608 teletext support.
>
> Note that this has nothing to do with DVB teletext that is commonly
> used in Europe.  It also has nothing (or at least little) to do with
> VBI-based CEA-608 closed captions which are provided by U.S.
> broadcasters and set-top box analog output.
>
> The main reason for removal is that there doesn't seem to be any
> content currently produced with such subtitles, and hasn't been for a
> very long time, and so the code to maintain decoding and rendering
> support is all guesswork that complicates the rest of the code.
>
> If anyone has samples containing CEA-608 teletext captions, or has
> other concerns about this decision, please let me know.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim/lists

I have a number of recordings made prior to the demise of Teletext in
the UK who's subtitles it would be good to be able to show. I don't know
about practice elsewhere, but, in the UK, Teletext page 888 was used to
carry the subtitles. Would it be possible to retain the playback capability?

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.