[mythtv] mythtv-dev Digest, Vol 120, Issue 7

Charlie Kempson charlie.kempson at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 12 04:53:10 UTC 2013

<charlie.kempson at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >

>> > Please see my email below.? Did I post this to the wrong list?? It
>> > seems a development related issue rather than a user issue.? Can
>> > anyone provide an answer?
>> ?
>> You sent it to the right list.? From observation (I am not a
>> developer) the active developers are very very busy right now (with
>> new jobs, life, higher priority issues, etc.).? I seem to recall
>> there was some discussion back in August timeframe regarding the
>> issues on the developer IRC channel, with some concerns raised that
>> resulted in punting the issue down the road for a time when more of
>> the developer community could participate in the discussions.? One of
>> the issues was that a release
>> (0.26 was real near) and the developers were trying to freeze the
>> codes so that people could do final testing.? Another of the issues
>> was that DVD playback was broken in a number of cases, and one of the
developers has been hard at work improving the base issues before looking at
anything else.?
>> That is taking a long time to get right (apparently some DVD's use,
>> shall we say, interesting capabilities on their discs).
>> ?
>>
>> Gary
>?
>Thanks, Gary, I appreciate your thoughts.? I?d be interested in seeing
>the concerns you mention ? is there any reference available? It seems
>to me that all encrypted ISO playback has been broken right now, and
>hence when the developers get to this, integrating the existing relatively
simple workaround of piping through the existing decryption libraries at the
server side would meet the large majority of user cases.
>?
>Cheers,
>?
>Charlie

If you are in a position to apply the patches they work just fine - at least
with 0.25 which I am using. I haven't tried it with 0.26 (which was trunk at
the time that I patched my system) so cannot comment on that.
Naturally this presumes the initialisation issue I reported was applied to
the patch for both 0.25 and trunk - I? assume this was done but did not
check!

To patch you will need to be setup to do your own mythtv builds. Software
development experience preferably with linux would be beneficial for
resolving any issues that you encounter when applying the patches.
Incidentally if you want to give it a go and it doesn't work out you can
simply revert to an unpatched copy of 0.26.

Cheers

Peter

-- Thanks, Peter.  I have a development background though have been steering
clear of roll my own software packages on my live systems in recent years
due to the maintenance headaches that result.  However, this is important
enough that I may give it a go.  Cheers, Charlie