[mythtv] Encrypted ISO playback from back end

Charlie Kempson charlie.kempson at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 8 06:25:44 UTC 2013

<mailto:charlie.kempson at iinet.net.au> charlie.kempson at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > Hi guys,

> > Please see my email below.  Did I post this to the wrong list?  It

> > seems a development related issue rather than a user issue.  Can

> > anyone provide an answer?

> You sent it to the right list.  From observation (I am not a developer)
the active developers are very

> very busy right now (with new jobs, life, higher priority issues, etc.).
I seem to recall there was some

> discussion back in August timeframe regarding the issues on the developer
IRC channel, with some

> concerns raised that resulted in punting the issue down the road for a
time when more of

> the developer community could participate in the discussions.  One of the
issues was that a release

> (0.26 was real near) and the developers were trying to freeze the codes so
that people could do final

> testing.  Another of the issues was that DVD playback was broken in a
number of cases, and one of

> the developers has been hard at work improving the base issues before
looking at anything else.

> That is taking a long time to get right (apparently some DVD's use, shall
we say, interesting

> capabilities on their discs).

> Gary

Thanks, Gary, I appreciate your thoughts.  I'd be interested in seeing the
concerns you mention - is there

any reference available? It seems to me that all encrypted ISO playback has
been broken right now, and

hence when the developers get to this, integrating the existing relatively
simple workaround of piping

through the existing decryption libraries at the server side would meet the
large majority of user cases.

Cheers,

Charlie