[mythtv] Questions about Python bindings

Rebecca Sutton Koeser rlskoeser at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 22:35:33 UTC 2013

I've been trying out the python bindings for Myth and have run into a few
problems and also found myself with some questions so I thought I would
mail the dev list.

First, I was wondering if it would be possible to break out the language
bindings into their own git repositories?  It seems like that would make it
a lot easier for people like me, who may have expertise in a particular
language and are somewhat familiar with MythTV, to contribute fixes,
documentation, etc for the bindings they want to use and/or the language
they are familiar with.

My other questions are more specific to the Python bindings, and may only
be of interest to whoever is working on and maintaining them.

Is there any roadmap or status document explaining what is implemented,
what is planned, etc?  It doesn't seem like the python bindings are making
much use of the Services API yet (and in one case where I think it is, it
needs a small fix-- something I'd like to submit as a patch but I'm
hesitant to fork the entire myth repo for a one-line python change). Is
adding support for the services API planned? Is that something that belongs
in the bindings or is outside the scope/intent of these?

I've also been struggling with the documentation.  It seems inconsistent
and incomplete on the wiki, depending on the component or the version.
 Would it be possible to convert this over to using sphinx (or something
similar), where the docs could be auto-generated from the code, and
possibly hosted and auto-updated on readthedocs.org? (This is another case
where having the Python code in its own repo would be helpful.)   I find
myself having to go into the code to figure out the parts I want to use,
and I'm a little disoriented there because I don't have a sense of how
things are organized or which pieces belong where. To be clear, this is
something I'd be willing to help with,

I'm tempted to make my own Python wrappers for the services API so I can
start fresh and not have to make sense of someone else's code, but it seems
like it would benefit the community more if I can help make the existing
bindings better, and I've been using MythTV for 10+ years, so it would be
nice to be able to contribute something back, however small.

Thanks.