[mythtv] Got some patches -- will these be OK ?

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Oct 12 13:14:41 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 06:47 PM, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> I have some small patches that I use for mythtv 0.25. Seeing as the
> version is about to change, I should submit my patches /now/ i guess :-).
>
> First Q: Will I need to patch against current head, or will 0.26-fixes
> be OK?
>
> Second Q: The patch below touches several files and two/three itches of
> mine -- will I need to split the patch below ?
>
> Third Q: Can I leave my logging statements in (see patch pelow)

A1: Patches should be against current head, but there aren't any
major changes in the code you are working on in this case so
you can do the development and testing in 0.26-fixes.

A2: Patches don't need to be split because they touch several files.
But each independent fix needs it's own patch. The easiest way to
do this is use git to commit each change as it's own commit and then
use git format patch to generate the patches.

A3: Yes. They may be removed during code review, but may help the
reviewer.

Additionally, avoid things like the tmpExp1 and tmpExp2, constructing
QRegExp is expensive and shouldn't be done inside a fixup.

Don't do formatting changes like in init_fixup() in the same patch
as functional changes. In particular we won't apply that change, but
in general code formatting changes need to be in separate patches
to speed up the review of functional and non-functional patches alike.

-- Daniel