[mythtv] MythTV audio initialization

Greg G. dargllun at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 7 08:51:58 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm seeing the following strange effect:

- system starts from S3 suspend.
- NVidia X server still running ok
- cat /proc/asound/card#0/eld lists an invalid ELD
- speaker-test runs, but produces no sound
- cat /proc/asound/card#0/eld still invalid
- now I start mythfrontend, but no playback
- now /proc/asound/card#0/eld is valid!

So the good news is there is no mythtv bug, actually more of a feature!

But I would really like to know what magic it is that mythfrontend does
here. Can I reproduce that on the command line?

Reason I'm asking is that I would like to keep mythfrontend running
while suspending to S3 to keep the start-up time shorter. But after
wakeup I want a working audio device to be able to run non-mythtv PCM
based applications. Any magic alsctl incantation I could try?

Thanks for any insights!

--
Regards
greg