[mythtv] No video on macbook on with 0.25

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Sat May 26 13:22:56 UTC 2012

Having recently purchased a new macbook (early '11 model), I found that
0.25 would simply show a white screen permanently when playing video,
with the audio running fine in the background. Changing the video
profile made no difference.
I found however that the 05 May build of 0.25b on
http://avenard.org/files/mac/ worked fine. Anything newer including 0.25
release, /fixes and master all show the same problem.
After setting up compiling in the mac a couple of days ago, and then
spending a good few hours bisecting and rebuilding, I've found the
causal commit to be

fa639a77c0 - Make users have to figure out if their video works.

After reading the commit description, I followed the advice, found the
painter setting and turned it to Auto, and there we go, my video now
works fine!

Was this really the desired behavior of this commit? And if so, where
should I have found this information needed to make video work?
Why isn't auto the default setting here, as surely it would give the
best experience for the majority of users?

I'm not a new user, I've been using myth on linux for about 7 years, but
this had me stumped for quite a while. I've since checked my main
machine, running mythbuntu, and it's interface was set to QT also
although it's video has always worked fine. I had always wondered why
the myth interface on that computer had been so slow, now I know.
Switching it to Auto has made it run a lot better too!

Cheers,
Andrew