[mythtv] #10305 heads up, mysql.txt removal + config.xml changes + UPnP fixes

Tim Phipps phipps-hutton at sky.com
Fri May 4 06:16:17 UTC 2012

Quoting Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>:
>  The only value it has for use in bash is when trying to access the
> database directly, and if you need to access the database directly,
> you can spend the effort writing whatever you're doing in a "proper"
> programming language with native MySQL bindings and proper type
> handling, rather than something that is just going to clumsily wrap
> the `mysql` shell client.  Any such language is going to have some
> form of XML parser available, and not have any problem dealing with
> the config.xml.

Please don't take offence but the above comes across as snobbish.
"Proper" programming languages come and go, sh is a Posix standard and
is here to stay. That said I don't mind mysql.txt going. I'd rather
have one setup file and if XML means less chance of errors in reading
and writing then that's good. Parsing performance doesn't not matter
for the setup file, robustness does. I'm sure it will be possible to
find a way to read it into a shell script.

Cheers,
Tim.