[mythtv] Profile builds and debug code

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Mar 12 15:45:12 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 15:08 +0100, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 09:31 -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 18:57 +0100, Lawrence Rust wrote:

> It's because the profile build is now the standard for Myth that I asked
> this question.  The debug build of Qt has a lot of additional runtime
> checks and is not optimised.  So Myth will suffer a memory overhead and
> performance penalty.  That doesn't sound good.  What's more a distro
> will now have to distribute the Qt -dbg packages just for Myth.
>
> I don't think that we need the Qt symbols in a release(profile) build; a
> backtrace through Qt isn't useful to anyone but developers.  If the
> symbols are required, many distros provide this as a separate package to
> the optimised build.

On Ubuntu at least we're not linking to the Qt debug libraries. As
for the symbols in our binary, those need to be in the build for the
distro's to package them. Packagers have been using the profile build
for some time and then stripping the symbols from the binary and
putting them in a separate package, it was just those compiling from
source that ended up with release builds. Those compiling from source
themselves are the ones most likely to want the debugging symbols.

-- Daniel