[mythtv] Empty and missing recording files when making multiple simultaneous dvb recordings

Roger James roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 11:17:08 UTC 2012

On 28/06/12 21:27, John Pilkington wrote:

> I posted yesterday about failure to populate the 'watch recordings'
> screen, but I believe this could be another instance of the problem
> above.  It looked as if my backend failed when asked to record four
> dvb-t recordings simultaneously.  I hadn't seen this before.  There
> had been lots of system changes, and I wondered if the tuner
> identification had failed, so I tried running mythtvsetup.  None of
> the tuners were recognised there, although dmesg showed that they had
> been registered. I have gone back from kernel 3.4.2-1 to 3.3.7-1 in
> fedora 16.x86_64 and mythtvsetup sees them again.  I didn't make any
> changes there.  I'm using mythtv 0.24.3 build 283 from ATrpms dated 30
> April.  I had made the kernel update earlier this week when a suitable
> nvidia module became available at ATrpms.
John,

I am only seeing this particular problem since I moved to 0.25. Because
it is a race condition  is not to say that it did not exist but with a
lower probability in earlier versions. Because the backend ends up with
two threads deadlocked it can produce some strange symptoms in any
attached frontends. I have submitted a bug for it at
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10870. The work round is to set any
DVB cards to only allow one simultaneous recording.

Roger