[mythtv] Empty and missing recording files when making multiple simultaneous dvb recordings

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Jun 28 20:27:32 UTC 2012

On 28/06/12 14:43, Roger James wrote:
> On 27/06/12 13:52, Roger James wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to track down a problem with missing or empty recording
>> files. These seem to occur when multiple DVB recordings are starting
>> at the same time and may be related to recording different channels on
>> the same multiplex. My backend is running a fairly recent version of
>> 0.25-fixes (Sun May 27). It has two dvb-t cards and one dvb-s card
>> each is which is set up to allow simultaneous recordings (3 on the
>> dvb-t cards 2 on the dvb-s card). I have captured a log which shows
>> the problem. This resulted in one recording with a no file (should be
>> /myth2/1009_20120626210000.mpg) and one recording with a empty file
>> (/myth4/1002_20120626210000.mpg 376 bytes). These recordings where on
>> different channels on the same terrestrial multiplex. The channels
>> also available via the DVB-S tuner.

<lots of detailed stuff snipped>

I posted yesterday about failure to populate the 'watch recordings'
screen, but I believe this could be another instance of the problem
above.  It looked as if my backend failed when asked to record four
dvb-t recordings simultaneously.  I hadn't seen this before.  There had
been lots of system changes, and I wondered if the tuner identification
had failed, so I tried running mythtvsetup.  None of the tuners were
recognised there, although dmesg showed that they had been registered.
I have gone back from kernel 3.4.2-1 to 3.3.7-1 in fedora 16.x86_64 and
mythtvsetup sees them again.  I didn't make any changes there.  I'm
using mythtv 0.24.3 build 283 from ATrpms dated 30 April.  I had made
the kernel update earlier this week when a suitable nvidia module became
available at ATrpms.

John P