[mythtv] Having run time problems?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Sat Jun 23 21:02:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM, danielk <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> If you are having problems running the latest MythTV master
> please do this:
>
>  sudo rm -Rf /usr/local/include/mythtv
>  sudo rm -Rf /usr/local/lib/mythtv
>
>  sudo rm -Rf /usr/local/share/mythtv
>  sudo rm -Rf /usr/local/lib/libmyth*
>  sudo rm -Rf /usr/local/bin/myth*
>
>  Then do a distclean in both the mythtv and the mythplugins
>  directories before rebuilding & reinstalling.
>
> The first two rm's are necessary for most since we rarely
> do a make uninstall before doing a git pull and rebuild
> and install so cruft builds up. The next three rm's
> eliminate any chance of old code in /usr/local causing
> problems.
>
> If you've ever installed from packages then repeat the
> rm's above with /usr/local replaced with /usr. If you've
> installed in some other location like opt, clean that
> out likewise.
>
> We're hearing reports of large virtual memory use, high CPU
> use and crashes with code from the last week or so. But a
> few of these have been fixed with a cleanup proceedure like
> the one outlined above.
>
> -- Daniel

Should this be considered normal after following the above?

4552 root      20   0 9349m 6.6g 5208 S 265.2 84.2 870:57.86 mythbackend

Basically doing the above made no difference. I'm not sure why no one
else is seeing this. All I have to do is watch recordings and the
memory used and CPU skyrockets.

Tom