[mythtv] Format of new post-0.25 config.xml

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jun 2 20:29:33 UTC 2012

On 6/2/2012 15:42, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> The main uses of the database are -
> channelscan, which fixes the QAM channel frequencies if Comcast changes
> them overnight

I've never actually used scte65scan, but I was under the impression it
only returned the in-band table for the standard definition channels
used by those little DTAs. Any of the non-broadcast channels would be
inaccessible due to Privacy Mode, and you would want the HD versions of
the local broadcast channels that would not be listed because the DTAs
cannot handle them.

> Before startup - check if all tuners are connected and send me an email
> if not.

Stuff like this where it calls plugreport to make sure firewire devices
are available, would be easier in Perl than Python. Perl is really
designed as a blend between a batch language and a programming language.
Python follows the C procedure, where you configure pipes, split apart
the command line, fork, and load the new executable overtop yourself.
Perl allows you to do stuff in such a custom manner, but they also
support the backtick (``) inline calling that Bash uses.

Your shutdown script does some special stuff with mythfilldatabase, and
I don't understand the reasoning. It appears you're blocking mythbackend
from running it automatically, and have cron running the old +1/+14
update daily, and full update on Saturday. First, you should never be
running '--refresh all' with Schedules Direct, use --dd-grab-all
instead. However, why do you not want it run in this manner daily?

Why is your frontend startup script mounting drives, rather than leaving
that to fstab and the normal system startup scripts? For that matter, do
any drives need to be mounted to the frontend? MythMusic and MythGallery
still require direct file access on remote frontends, but recordings and
videos can be streamed from the master backend. Music and photos are due
for similar treatment in an upcoming release.