[mythtv] MythTV life-cycle support intentions

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jul 24 17:39:52 UTC 2012

On 12-07-24 01:17 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> a lot of that is because most users are not willing to test during the
> beta and release candidate period on a live system,

And I'd guess that's because downgrading an upgraded (i.e. to beta and
release candidate releases) Myth installation is so traumatic.  If one
wants to endure trying to drop databases and restore them (which mysql
greenhorns are not going to be comfortable with) then a downgrade
immediately after an upgrade is at least doable, but you've recorded a
dozen programs already only to find that showstopper bug that you need
to downgrade because the wife is screaming mad at you.

Now what?  Restore the pre-upgrade database and lose those 12
recordings?  Do you think that's going to make her any happier?

If Myth provided +/-1 database compatibility so that one could upgrade
and downgrade as simply as installing/removing packages, I bet more
people would be willing to dip a toe in while the pool is still being
filled up instead of waiting until it's full.

b.