[mythtv] MythTV life-cycle support intentions

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Jul 24 16:45:34 UTC 2012

On 24/07/12 02:53, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If people want support, they can update to the latest version.

I think it should be recognised that many people - and even some on the
mailing lists - don't want support;  they want a system that will work
and won't cause domestic stress.  That implies that a new release should
be fully tested /for its old features/ as well as the new.  I'm not
convinced that that always happens.  As things are, a mature fixes build
would probably be the best option for this group.  Suggesting that they
should all switch asap to a new release is unrealistic.  New problems
will surface as more of them gradually upgrade.  I would hope that these
would still warrant attention from the devs, although I recognise the
allure of the bleeding edge :-)

John P