[mythtv] Help needed for RPM Fusion package modernizaton

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:11:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> btw, another simplification in packaging that I have seen
> recommended by the devs is to always install the frontend
> with a backend install (due to some config issues, I think).

I'll have to look into this but I don't know what would be needed in
the frontend package that would help...

One thing I have been thinking of doing is to install a default
config.xml (pointing to localhost) in /etc/mythtv rather than an empty
file which is what's currently installed by the backend package.

The reason I think this would be better is because by default the
systemd service file runs as use mythtv which does not have a login,
so not only would the end user need to force a login as user mythtv
but neither the HOME or MYTHCONDIR environment variables would be set
correctly and the setup files would instead be installed to
/root/.mythtv.

With the default file they would at least have something they could
edit without having to remember how to input all the XML tags.

There's still the problem of a redundant config.xml being installed to
$HOME/.mythtv the first time they run mythfrontend, but I don't think
there's much I can do about that at this point.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks,
Richard