[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by cpinkham. v0.26-alpha-9-g6fb8692

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Jul 20 21:30:43 UTC 2012

* On Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 01:50:11PM -0400 (and 2 other times), George Nassas wrote:

I'm merging 3 emails here together to reply to them all at once..

> http://files.nassas.com/6021_20120713130343.mpg
>
> did you give at a try during your testing? I'm curious if this is specific
> to my machine or a real bug.

I did use your test file.  I can play it fine using AAC or MP3 audio
on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1, but not on my 3GS running iOS 4.1.
The same holds true for other samples I've tried.  If I enable MP3
audio for HLS, I can play both your sample and mine correctly on my
iPhone 3GS.  I'm not sure if this is a hardware, decoder, or encoder
issue, but am looking into it.  For now, you can create a setting
called HLSAACAUDIO set to '0' to disable AAC and use MP3 audio in HLS.

It's not your setup specifically, but I would like to know what you're
using to test, is this iOS, Android, or what?

> ========

> Also, how did you know about libfaac being problematic? I didn't see
> anything about that in the commits or maybe I missed it. I enable
> everything I can in the hope that it will bring me the most number of
> available features and depend on configure to warn me about conflicts.

The code needs a little tweaking to work with libfaac, but even when I
did that and enabled libfaac instead of the built-in AAC encoder, I
still had the same audio issues, so I don't believe it's an issue of
which AAC encoder is being used.  That also seems to rule out anything
to do with the integer to floating point audio conversion since libfaac
uses the integer data.

> ========
>
> Whoop, forgot to write that I can cure the warbling by jumping back
> maybe 5 seconds in the video. Like the previous problem with clipped
> sound, moving around the stream seems to make it go away. I haven't
> played a long enough stream to know if the warble will come back later.

I can't seem to get rid of the warbling on my iPhone 3GS, I tried
skipping around, changing the bitrate, etc..  If there's a workaround,
I'd be happy to find it rather than telling some users they need to
(re)enable MP3 audio for their devices.

> And, a final question for Chris: do you want these running bug
> reports? With the release near I'm not sure if you're shooting for good
> enough or perfect in all cases.

I think we're in a pretty good place right now, the main two things
bugging me are the AAC vs MP3 audio on some devices, and the blockiness
at startup.  I'm looking into something with the blockiness, so
hopefully I find that soon enough.  If you find other bugs, feel free
and as stable as possible for 0.26.

--
Chris