[mythtv] (own)Cloud Plugin

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jul 16 20:56:28 UTC 2012

On 7/16/2012 15:09, rene fischer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there an plugin to sync multimedia and dates with the cloud?
>
> If not, I am willing to develop such plugin. My first ideas are:
> - showing and editing calendar entries

MythWeb will already generate standard RSS and iCal that should
integrate well with most calender applications.

> - up/download files

MythWeb allows you to download and stream content already, as does the
web application built into mythbackend. A mechanism to allow upload of
new content for the video/music/photo libraries would be interesting,
but it would still be better for this to be integrated rather than made
possible through some 3rd party platform.

> - first I would prefer ownCloud as platform.

I don't think you actually understand what the "cloud" is.  Shared
hosting and terminal servers have been around for decades, providing
high bandwidth and a tech staff for cut rate prices.  The "cloud" is
nothing more than another layer of abstraction on top of that. Instead
of those tasks and data living on any particular physical server, they
are now in a virtual instance, dynamically shifting around the server
farm as utilization requires, allowing for more efficient allocation and
high availability.

The key characteristic is still that it is off in some remote server
farm.  When you as an end-user download ownCloud, and run it on your own
home server, you have not produced a "cloud".  You are just running a
web server.