[mythtv] HLS Failing

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Jul 13 14:41:53 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-13, at 1:17 AM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> What audio and video codecs are in the source material?  I can try to
> reproduce with a similar file.  I have some time tomorrow night and can
> run through some longer test cases.  Also, which player were you using to
> play the stream?

It's mpeg2/ac3 from an atsc broadcast. The player is apple's through osx safari and also ios safari. I don't have any other platforms to test with. I also have some old pvr250/350 type recordings and they stream perfectly well.

Here's a 1 minute clip from a morning show that has the problem for me:

http://files.nassas.com/6021_20120713130343.mpg
http://files.nassas.com/6021_20120713130343.xml
http://files.nassas.com/6021_20120713130343.stream.zip

That's the original file (100MB), the xml from /Content/GetLiveStreamList, and a zip of the resulting stream files (10MB).

Oddly enough when I tried the stream in vlc it played fine. The safari test is through a page with a video element and an url where the backend serves up the individual .ts segments while the vlc test is by feeding it the .m3u directly and having it read the .ts segments through the file system. Don't know if that's significant.

I'm pressed for time until the end of the day but will try more scenarios then. It's up to you if you want to pull down the stuff above and try it yourself.

FWIW I'm a heavy user of streams and they've been fine until recently so I feel pretty confident that it's nothing weird about my setup.

- George