[mythtv] make install issues

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Jul 6 16:45:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
> >> I'm attempting to build on OpenIndiana to avoid powering up another
> machine
> >> all the time as this one is already running. I can build, with some
> little
> >> tweaks, but make install fails with the following output.
> >
> > Wow, good luck.  OpenIndiana (and all other Solaris-based setups) are
> > not supported, and you will not be able to do much with the backend
> > unless they use the V4L2 layer in the drivers, which I doubt.
>
> Well, it is possible that the network based capture devices might work.
>
> In any case, FFmpeg on Solaris, as I recall, usually required
> using gmake (gnu make) rather than make (Solaris make).
> I also seem to recall numerous issues over the years with
> FFmpeg and Solaris, and you might want to check their
> project archives/issue tracker to see what else is broken, or
> requires workarounds.

The only tuner I care about is an HDHomeRun, so no need for V4L etc. And
I'm not asking for official support. Just some idea why the "make install"
errors out. I made a few changes to get the compile, and want to test and
see if it's working. Is there another way to manage this bit? Can I just
copy all the .so and executable files out to a directory and run it there?

I'll try gmake and/or make sure that it's using the gnu version. OI uses
gnu versions of the utilities before the Solaris versions by default
though. As it's just a backend and won't be doing anything other than
recording, I could make a low power box do it, I just wanted to try it. I
did neglect to mention that I only care about the backend here, no display
required other than mythtv-setup which just needs X/qt IIRC.