[mythtv] Systemd expertise needed: systemctl fails to start mythbackend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jul 5 21:30:34 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 01:22 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:

>> Want to take 'obscure systemd problems' for $400??
>
> I don't do init scripts for mythtv :)  I stop/start/rebuild/mess with
> my machines so much, it would be an utter waste of time for me to use
> a system-level script.  I run my own start script (which is on github
> in my mythtvmeta repo) to wrap the calls to setup path, etc as I also
> don't install into /usr or /usr/local, but rather into
> /opt/mythtv/${BRANCHNAME} as I often have several branches installed
> at once.  My logs go to /opt/mythtv/logs/${BRANCHNAME} and are managed
> by logrotate (archived weekly, deleted after 3 months, IIRC).

Thanks for the pointer to your scripts. I'm running the mythbox with a
startup call for mythbackend, in rc-local.service, which seems to work,
but gives no real control, nor restart capabilities.
I'll look at your script.

In fact, right now, I think the box has mythbackend started in one
console tab, and mythfrontend in another.

Geoff