[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 5e13d41a8 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Jan 31 17:07:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 11:36 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> GNOME Screensaver has other issues in GNOME-3!  On my system the
> screensaver activates even when the frontend is just sitting at the
> menus.  So in the morning I have to hit the keyboard to get the screen
> to start up at all.  I don't know if it honors DPMS; I suspect not
> because I thought I turned off DPMS but it still blanks the screen after
> an hour of non-use.  (This is on Fedora 16)

This is a bit off-topic, but important to anyone debugging screensaver
issues.. Xorg has two forms of screen blanking in addition to whatever
the screensavers provide, DPMS and "BlankTime". The latter is not a
power saving mode, it just makes the screen black to avoid burn in.
To disable both you need something like this:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

The actual flags that need to be set depend on the Xorg version. Google
for them if this doesn't work.

-- Daniel