[mythtv] MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h))

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:37:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/12 18:33, Matt S. wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just wanted to add some additional comments about last.fm and as I'm
>>> a user (and fan) of the service and would love to see it integrated
>>> into MythMusic.
>>>
>>> Stuart focused primarily on one part of the service, which is their
>>> "streaming" radio capabilities - similar in nature to spotify or
>>> pandora.  But in general, I rarely if ever use this feature and most
>>> people would say that's not really what makes last.fm unique
>>> (anymore). Additionally, they do have a recommendation engine - but
>>> I'm not sure if I've really seen players take advantage of that and
>>> leverage it via the API.
>>>
>>> What I do leverage is scrobbling - which allows my various players
>>> (itunes, ipod, android, winamp, etc) to send playcounts to my account.
>>>  This keeps track of my overall library, and allows me to see
>>> statistics on listening.  For example - most played artist this week,
>>> month, year - most played track, etc.  There are third party sites
>>> that leverage the API that can take the statistics way beyond what you
>>> can see on the last.fm site.  For me, it's pretty fun to see what
>>> trends in listening I have, when I started listening to a new artist,
>>> periods where a particular genre ruled my listening, when I
>>> rediscovered an artist, etc.
>>>
>>> As for scrobbling - it's nice because it's a collective of all my
>>> playcounts regardless of player - it would be nice for mythmusic to
>>> join that mix since anything I listen to in there effectively falls
>>> into a black whole as far as my total playcount goes.  I think it's
>>> the only player I use on a frequent basis that won't scrobble.  If
>>> someone is interested in starting, that's probably the best feature to
>>> try and work on.
>>>
>>> Additionally - the API can expose a bunch of metadata on the track,
>>> album, and artist.  This could be particularly useful to do things
>>> similar to how metadata and artwork is exposed for videos and
>>> recordings.  You could grab pictures of the artist
>>> (http://www.last.fm/api/show?service=407), folksonomy tags, and even
>>> wiki like descriptions of the artist/album/track.
>>>
>>> Also, it's come up a few times in the past, but I think there's a huge
>>> potential to leverage various musicbrainz capabilities too.  In fact,
>>> last.fm and musicbrainz are re-kindling a long time partnership to
>>> make sure that all the tracks, artists, and albums leverage the MBID.
>>> This helps eliminate ambiguity when both scrobbling as well as
>>> retrieving data.  All of my tracks have an MBID, and between
>>> leveraging the last.fm and musicbrainz APIs, you could get just about
>>> any piece of data you could imagine.  I think there's a lot of
>>> potential in terms of leveraging MB and last.fm in combination for
>>> tagging and metadata supplementation.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all your hard work on MythMusic so far Paul - I know
> [...]

Paul, slightly off topic, but have you looked at including Spotify
integration into your MythMusic work? I believe it may require a
premium account to play from and there is an open api and library at:
http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/
I'd be willing to pay for a few months subscription for you if it is
something you'd be interested in tackling in order to get it working.

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!