[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed Jan 4 15:24:49 UTC 2012

On 04/01/12 15:05, MythTV wrote:
> Author: Paul Harrison <pharrison at mythtv.org> Change Date:
> 2012-01-04T07:02:54-08:00 Push Date: 2012/01/04 07:05:24 -0800
> Repository: mythtv Branch: master New Revision:
> 8e29824366e2957a0b9764d0e9abbfb850d80287 Changeset:
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/8e2982436
>
> Log:
>
> MythMusic: Convert to MythUI and remove the last of the Qt3 stuff
>
> This is far from complete and is subject to change but it's a start.

As I said in the commit message this isn't complete yet. There's things
I have to
complete, things that need testing properly and even more things I
haven't even started yet.
I'm sure there are many things that could be done better.

I really wish I hand the time and motivation to have finished this by
now but TBH I'm not
finding the MythTV project to be a very pleasant project to be
associated with since the
changing of the guard so to speak or maybe it's just me that changed:(

** Waiting to be cleaned up and committed **

A lyrics view

I have a proof of concept that works. Just need to decide the best way
to integrate it and
make it customisable using different sites for the lyrics etc..

A ice/shoutcast player

I had a very crude screen that partly worked but something along the way
got broken with
the player. Not sure if it was a bad merge or changes in ffmpeg I need
to debug and tidy this
up before I let it loose on some unsuspecting users.

A wikipedia view

This was working OK last time I tried it but needed Qt7 because of bugs
in Qt6
that break the custom css stuff required to make the web pages more TV
friendly.

** Stuff on my TODO list **

4:3 default theme

At the moment the 4:3 theme is non existent so MythMusic wont work at
all unless you
switch to a wide theme. If anybody wants to help out this is something
that I could do with
some help.

Visualizers

I had already started work on trying to make them MythUI friendly before
Mark K added his
stuff. The visualisers as they stand work but are very inefficient and
consume a lot of CPU
especially at high resolutions. I need to revisit them at some stage and
try and make use of
Mark K's work but don't really see how that's going to work at the
moment without juggling
some stuff around or duplicating some of the rendering code in MythUIVideo.

Storage Groups

MythMusic should be able to use storage groups but it's not something
that has
been very high on my todo list. Being able to both read and write any tags
makes this task a little more complicated and would probably mean adding
taglib
as a dependency to mythbackend or mythmetadatalookup.

Fingerprint Identification

This ties in with storage groups we need a way to identify a file even
if it has
been moved or renamed similar to what MythVideo does. Unfortunately we
can't use the
same hash algorithm that MythVideo uses because any changes to the tag
within a
track would change the hash. We could write our own hash algorithm or
use a preferably
open source third party fingerprint lib.

MusicBrainz has started to experiment with finger printing
(http://blog.musicbrainz.org/?p=945)
and have tentative support for Echonest's Echoprint system
(http://echoprint.me/). When I
test there system I wasn't all that impressed it failed to identify most
of the random selection
of tracks I tried, what's worst you can get different results depending
on the part of the track
 you analyse.

Another possibility is Acoustid (http://acoustid.org/) which worked much
better in my very
unscientific tests I did. They have a api which allows you to search for
finger prints and return
the acoustid and/or any musicbrainz trackids that match.

I'm leaning towards acoustid simply because it worked in my tests and
seems to be well supported
but I would be very interested to hear any thoughts or experiences on this.

Support for the coverart archive

The new interface by default uses coverart extensively, you can use the
metadata editor
to search google to find and download the cover art for an album or
artist etc but
it would be nice to be able to do this automatically. MusicBrainz in
cooperation with the
Internet Archive have started a service that would allow us to do it
automatically so long
as we have a musicbrainzid to lookup the coverart for
(http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Cover_Art_Archive)

I've not tested this at all so if anyone has any experience with this or
any thoughts I'd be
interested to here them.

Support LastFM and Spotify APIs

I've not looked at this at all yet. I do know it's been asked about many
times though.

Paul H.