[mythtv] Compiling mythtv and running without installing.

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 01:10:04 UTC 2012

Hi

On 26 February 2012 11:58, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I compile mythtv like so:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/home/jyavenard/build --compile-type=debug
>>
>> I do make && make install as usual
>>
>> To run it:
>>
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/jyavenard/build/lib
>> /home/jyavenard/build/bin/mythfrontend
>>

> Makes sense to me. Thanks.  I will try later.

I know that some people will frown on me giving this info.. But this
is the development mailing list, it supposes you know what you are
doing

However, if you are running a 0.24 production system, and want to
compile master ; you may find yourself with an unworking system
because the database schema has been updated...

For such situation, I compile with:
./configure --prefix=/home/jyavenard/build --compile-type=debug
--extra-cxxflags='-D IGNORE_SCHEMA_VER_MISMATCH
-DIGNORE_PROTO_VER_MISMATCH'

I mostly work with mythavtest for my purpose, so running a 0.25 build
test against a 0.24 backend works fine.
No so when running the fully fleged mythfrontend, LiveTV will not work
at all and neither will playing recordings.
But Videos work

The configure command above ensure that no database will ever be
upgraded when running the test system, and it won't error-out when
running the test build and the version differs.

JY