[mythtv] HELP: CentOS 6.3 install "MYTH_PROTO_VERSION wasempty."

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Dec 12 13:41:29 UTC 2012

On 10/12/12 23:43, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 10/12/12 21:48, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM,  <gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>> Running head here on Centos 6.3 without issues.
>>> On my old system, this error generally meant that the tuner card had
>>> crashed. Myth appears to be missing a timeout and error....
>>> from what I see, if my tuner has crashed/hung, when mythbackend
>>> starts, it
>>> prints out it is starting etc., and then the only indication that it
>>> isn't
>>> working is that it /doesn't/ print that it is starting housekeeping.
>>> Try testing your tuner using mplayer or something to check.
>>
>> The only tuner I have is a HDHR3 (US ATSC)... Installed Fedora 17 and
>> installed everything and it worked fine...
>>
>> Richard
>
> If it's tuner related then of course the bare el6 kernel probably won't
> be adequate; it may well need either the media_build drivers or
> something similar, such as the atrpms v4l kmdl.  Maybe this isn't
> obvious :-)  And sorry about this being the Wrong List.
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git
>
> John

I tried to reproduce the problem by uninstalling the ATrpms video4linux
packages from my el6 box.  I also rebooted. No error seen;  backend and
frontend restarted as normal and recordings could be played.  Watch TV
reported all tuners busy.  After reinstalling the packages it works as
normal.

kernel 2.6.32-274.14.1.el6.i686
dmesg |  grep usb -> Product PCTV 290e
dmeg | grep DVB -> Sony CXD2820R (frontend 0 DVB-T/T2, frontend1 DVB-C)
not using DVB-C

---------