[mythtv] MythTV life-cycle support intentions

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Aug 23 01:40:02 UTC 2012

At 11:13 AM +1000 8/23/12, Michael Watson wrote:
>On 23/08/2012 9:36 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>>Ultimately, this goes back to my point that if downgrading were painless
>>(including inserting between-upgrade-and-downgrade recordings back into
>>the downgraded database), you'd get a lot more people willing to test
>>pre-GA.
>
>Seems to me that, it would not be to difficult to write and
>import/export script that either;
>
>     Exports all current recordings and relevant data since schema
>was change (either automatically via date stored in database of when
>schema was updated [if this data is even stored] or via a user
>entered date
>     Imports routine would ignore any new data not required/used by
>previous schema
>
>OR
>
>     Exports the entire database into say XML, so that import routine
>from previous version can simply ignore data that it does not
>recognize.  IMHO this would provide a better backup, as it would be
>"compatible" with any version of Myth, rather than current backup
>which is only compatible with current versions or newer versions.

So here's what we do:  every Myth user goes out and buys $5-10* of
tickets in their local mega-lottery and earmarks the tickets for
Myth.  As soon as somebody wins, presto--we've got the funding to do
this and lots of other cool stuff.

Just don't let the Myth tickets get mixed up with your tickets!  ;)

The only other plausible alternative is for you, Michael, or me,
Craig, to start coding up what you've described.  And I'm pretty sure
it is not going to be me!  ;(

Craig
*or local currency equivalent.