[mythtv] HDHR Prime with CC in ATSC tuning mode possible?

James Purl convbox at jamespurl.com
Mon Aug 13 17:31:44 UTC 2012

Good Day,

Spontaneously on Friday night/Saturday morning, my HDHR Prime (in CC mode)
lost its channel map. I also have a Ceton PCIe card that did not lost it's
channel map. After spending the weekend trying to get Comcast to
successfully re-channel-list my Prime (to no success yet), I discovered
that I was able to just manually tune in my digital cable channels using
hdhomerun's utilty, and the channel mapping I was able to get from the
status pages of my Ceton. I guess since the CC is all activated and
authorized (only problem is no channel list), it goes ahead and decrypts
the channel (verified on a few channels using VLC).

So, while I fight with Comcast (previous issues were due to my head-end
configuration in my complex--as 2 techs that were sent out told me), I was
considering modifying Myth to just tune my Prime in ATSC mode (after doing
necessary manual setup to channel and dtv_multiplex tables using the
Ceton's channel map info), and ignoring any encrypted flags.  I was able to
discover in the source that I needed to modify the detection of CableCard
vs ATSC mode to get it to tune, but Myth still sees the digital cable
channels as "encrypted". Can someone point me to the sources I'd need to
modify so that Myth would still attempt to pull streams even if the PMT
encrypted flag is set or is this embedded throughout Myth? My source is
from the 0.25 ebuild in gentoo (on the backend I want to use the Prime
with) from June 22, but can pull any 0.25 build (the rest of my systems use
mythbuntu 12.04 and daily -fixes).

Let me be clear that I am NOT trying to decrypt/steal any channel I'm not
supposed to get--the Prime + CableCard is actually decrypting the properly
paid-for channels.. I just need help convincing Myth to record them while I
try to convince Comcast that my head-end setup  is wrong again (which after
I call back for the 4th time since Saturday will probably result in a tech
being sent out... AGAIN, or them telling me to come switch my CC).

Thanks
james