[mythtv] MythTV 0.26, XVideo, and OpenGL

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:03:50 UTC 2012

On 19.04.2012 21:47, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Thursday 19 Apr 2012 21:02:53 dargllun wrote:
>> On the bright side, the OSS drivers have very much improved over the
>> last years, and substantially so by AMD devs. It would be good if the
>> OSS drivers would be supported by mythtv, cause they'll stay around.
>
> We support vendor neutral APIs*  e.g. OpenGL. It's really up to the drivers to
> support OpenGL and if they do that then it should just work with MythTV. We're
 > Right now it seems only the proprietary Nvidia drivers work well
 > enough.

You are right, of course. With "support" I really meant testing.
Currently it seems no longer to be a performance issue. The OpenGL video
rendering of the AMD OSS drivers is good enough. Mplayer and xbmc show
it can be done. I'm not aware of the implementation details, but to me
it seems that opengl output may not benefit as much/at all from
real-time prios and/or drm vblank interrupts.

> Right now it seems only the proprietary Nvidia drivers work well enough. The
> drivers for Intel and ATi hardware display underwhelming performance and
> stability.
>
> * with the exception of vdpau for which there is no working ATI equivalent

Actually there is, as I have mentioned in previous posts to this thread.
The open source drivers for r600+ chips and Mesa > 8.0 do provide the
VDPAU interface. And it actually works with MythTV, but with the same
limitations as OpenGL: not fully real-time rendering.

Greg