[mythtv] MythTV 0.26, XVideo, and OpenGL

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:45:31 UTC 2012

On 18.04.2012 11:21, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> I too would prefer to run the Xorg radeon driver (for better 2D
> performance and to test OpenGL) but the xorg-video-ati driver (version
> 6.14.0) that ships with Xorg 7.6 on Ubuntu doesn't support the HD6410D.
> According to the Xorg release notes I need the 6.14.99 driver.  So I
> need to pluck up courage and try the xorg-edgers fresh X ppa at
> Launchpad.  Anyone know if this is stable and usable?

This well maintainted PPA contains much more recent drivers which should
support your HW:
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers

Support and discussion can be found here:
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?50038-Updated-and-Optimized-Ubuntu-Free-Graphics-Drivers

If it doesn't work you can always ppa-purge it to get back to your
current drivers, so not much courage is required for this. Make sure you
save your current xorg.conf somewhere though.

Jean-Yves, given that with AMD we never know when the rope will be cut
for older GPUs, I think the OSS driver performance is important. Also,
as indicated in my earlier post with OSS drivers there even is VDPAU
support for capable AMD GPUs. Perhaps you want to try this on your Mac
and give some feedback.

--
Regards
greg