[mythtv] MythTV 0.26, XVideo, and OpenGL

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:50:11 UTC 2012

On 18 April 2012 04:07, dargllun <dargllun at googlemail.com> wrote:

> a) fglrx:
> - unstable feature set
> - flakey suspend behaviour (by itself a no-go for me)
> - no /sys/class/drm/ interface for HDMI hotplug scripting
> - Xv: tearing, jittery
> - OpenGL: tearing, jittery

As a side note, last week I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and also tried
the latest ATI drivers as of early April 2012.

OpenGL painter with OpenGL rendering was just perfect. I had some
tearing which disappeared after I set the "Tear-free desktop" option.

I was very pleased. It worked brilliantly and the quality was as good
as it could be (when using non-nvidia deinterlacers that is)..

> b) OSS radeon
> + good OS integration
> + Xv: superb performance, very real-time even with additional system-load
> - OpenGL: has gotten way better over the past year, but still jittery, even
> without deinterlacing. Note that there is still lots of CPU power left
> - OpenGL lite: same as OpenGL
> - VDPAU mesa state tracker: same as OpenGL
> + nice /sys/class/drm/ interface for HDMI hotplug scripting

OSS Radeon OpenGL was broken for me however still... Had to use Qt/Xv
; which gave me a good quality anyway...

I would still go with an nvidia card should I have a choice.
But as my iMac comes with an ATI Radeon 9670 I had no choice on the matter.

I had no issue with suspend / resume with either drivers...

JY