[mythtv] Frontend idle shutdown (was: RE: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 7867d7efb by Stuart Morgan (stuartm))

Yves Cayer ycayer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 00:18:19 UTC 2012

> On 12-02-01 08:37 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> >
> > IMHO, it would be better if it worked thus;
> >
> > Frontend Only Machine:
> > If Frontend idle for "Idle Time" then run "Frontend Idle
> > Script", that could either shutdown/hibernate/suspend the machine or run
> > some other task (cant think of what, but good if user could configure it
> > how they want, not just hard coded shutdown)
>
> Yes! Totally agree. I've been wanting _real_ FE idleness handling (as
> opposed to my hack which looks at GPU interrupts) for a year or two now.
>
> By real, of course that's idleness as determined by MFE not playing
> anything or being interacted with at a menu (although that gives me an
> idea about how to monitor LIRC and factor that into my FE idleness hack
> script).
>
> And of course, configurable idle action, just as it is for the BE, but
> it really ought to inform the BE that it's idle rather than the BE then
> having to have some sort of FE inactivity timer to decide that it's
> idle. Although the BE should also have such an inactivity timer to
> account for FEs that just go AWOL.

I've created a ticket #10596 with a patch to do this.

It has a user configurable action for when the idle time expires. You can quit the frontend, run a shell command (or /sbin/halt), or enter the standby screen.

Please have a look. I've been using for several weeks now and it's working nicely. I have 3 frontend-only systems and I used to have to run a cron job to monitor frontend activity for shutdown but it wasn't very user friendly.

Comments welcome.