[mythtv] [mythtv-firehose] mythtv/master commit: 3870b0777 by Daniel Thor Kristjansson (daniel-kristjansson)

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 11:29:30 UTC 2011

On Sunday 25 Sep 2011 14:45:42 Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM, MythTV <noreply at mythtv.org> wrote:
> > I've also added a small hack for NTSC and PAL video, if the number
> > of lines in the video is 480 or 576 we assume the video is interlaced.
> > After watching a poorly mastered DVD one too many times I decided
> > this hack was necessary. The DVD override for still frames will
> > still ensure that those are not deinterlaced, this is just for the
> > autodetection in the video.
>
> This would force 480p recordings to be treated as 480i, would it not?  I
> guess it's only the *auto*deinterlace, but still, that could be annoying for
> those few recordings.  Just a thought.

I was actually pretty close to implementing this myself, for PAL DVDs at a
bare minimum. Like Daniel I've got some badly mastered DVDs and it's not an
acceptable solution to require users to force de-interlacing from the menu for
these. It's pretty certain that commercial DVD players assume all content is
interlaced since the spec (as I read it) doesn't allow for 480p or 576p.
--
Stuart Morgan