[mythtv] mythtv/master commit: 0e84bfed2 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Sep 20 00:59:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 08:45:04PM +0200, Markus Schulz wrote:
>  On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:45:16 +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> > On 9/19/11, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >> On 09/18/2011 05:24 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>  [..]
> >> The problem with the OSD menu is that it's not an OSD menu.  It's a
> >> MythDialogBox.  The reason it worked the way it did was because
> >> MythDialogBox worked the way it did.  It now works exactly like the
> >> dialog boxes work in Watch Recordings.  For example, in Watch
> >> Recordings, select a recording and hit MENU to bring up the menu.
> >> Then
> >> select Storage Options or Recording Options or Job Options to get a
> >> sub
> >> menu, then hit ESCAPE or BACK and the entire menu/sub-menu is
> >> dismissed.  And, as a matter of fact, even in 0.24-fixes in those
> >> sub-menus, when you hit LEFT (with arrow-key acceleration), it
> >> dismisses
> >> the sub-menu and the menu.
> >>

> > This is what I'm more concerned about. Using right to move to a sub
> > menu and left to return to a parent menu just seems natural to me.
>
>  for a left-to-right organized menu...
>  but imagine a menu organized from right-to-left.
>  then the intuitive way to open a child-menu was pressing cursor-left
>  instead of cursor-right.
>
>  therefore you have four operation modes depending on menu-orientation:
>
>  - bottom-up:  CUR_UP=SELECT  CUR_DOWN=BACK
>  - top-down:   CUR_UP=BACK    CUR_DOWN=SELECT
>  - left-rigth: CUR_RIGHT=SELECT CUR_LEFT=BACK
>  - right-left: CUR_RIGHT=BACK   CUR_LEFT=SELECT
>
>  looks like an option the theme developer should manage (he knows the
>  orientation of each menu) or perhaps there is a safe calculation
>  possible?

I believe this has been suggested before.  I was for it before and
still am.  It would have been nice if it could have been done before
the code was changed, but what's done is done.

>  but i think this feature should be (re)added. it's really a pain to
>  move your thumb away from the cursor cross on your remote to reach the
>  select/back buttons...

In my case, all of the required keys are next to each other, so moving
my thumb a little is not huge.  That's why I got this particular
remote and still use it.  Still, muscle memory can be a hard thing to
relearn.

David
--
David Engel