[mythtv] MHEG BBC iPlayer

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Sep 10 18:31:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, July 21, 2011 6:35 pm, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on the MHEG code to add support for "Interaction
> Channel" (ETSI ES 202 184 V2.2.1) which enables BBC iPlayer and other
> http based interactive content to be accessed directly from the "Red
> button",  For anyone interested in trying, I have a patch here:
>
> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/iplayer.diff
>
> for the current MythTV 0.24.1.  The patch covers 4 main areas:
>
> 1. libfreemheg - includes the new ASN functions and http files & streams
> 2. mhi - supports http files & streams and additional input keys
> 3. MythPlayer - additional API to support mhi stream selection
> 4. RingBuffer - supports reading from a URI and a few bug fixes.
>
> After the patch is applied, rebuild and restart mythfrontend.  Wait for
> the red button prompt which should now show "BBC iPlayer" if all is
> well.
>
> The interaction channel can be disabled by setting:
> MYTHMHEG=noice
>
> Additionally, the http client can be made to use a proxy, for instance
> tor, by setting:
> MYTHMHEG_PROXY="socks://localhost:9050"
>
> Apologies for not providing a patch for git master, but my production
> backend (which has my only dvb-s feed) runs 0.24.1.  A patch for master
> is not too onerous.
>
> Comments, criticisms and suggestions most welcome.
>
> --
> Lawrence Rust

Hi Lawrence,

Great work implementing this functionality :)

I've compiled 0.24.1 with you diff patch successfully however I only seem
to be seeing the usual MHEG content and nothing to do with iPlayer...

I have a combined DVB-T and DVB-S/S2 system and have tried the red button
on Freeview and Freesat BBC channels and both are the same.

Is there anything else I need (e.g. software prereqs, other configuration)?

Many thanks

Dave K.