[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 1b66c0422 by Chris Pinkham (cpinkham)

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 14:43:04 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 10:27:51 Ryan Patterson wrote:
> > It also adds the following new functions:
> > --copyfile (to copy a file to or from a Storage Group between a
> >            myth:// URI and a local file or between two myth:// URIs)
> >
> > mythutil --copyfile --srcfile myth://host/file.mpg --destfile ./file.mpg
>
> Questions. . .
>
> Is this truly a copy routine?  ie. It makes a duplicate and leaves the
> original in place.  Maybe I'm just not seeing the use case.  Wouldn't
> a routine that moves the file (and removes the original) be more
> useful?

I can think of at least one reason for having a copy function - portable media
players. If I owned one I imagine I might want to copy over a film or episode
of a series to the device so that I might watch it when away from home. It
doesn't logically follow that I'd want to delete the original from my
recordings or video collection.

As for the myth to myth copy, well I can still foresee wanting to add a
recording to my mythvideo collection without immediately deleting it.
Especially since this feature isn't smart enough to automatically cleanup the
recorded table etc
--
Stuart Morgan