[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:29:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:
> On 05/31/11 19:10, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>> On the basis of experience I can bet that many of them will still play with
>> the values and in the process they will cause playback problems that they
>> don't connect to their messing with things they don't understand.
>
> which is why it would be cool to have the option in the UI to set values
> back to the defaults

Although I suspect this will only cause this conversation to devolve
further, it is worth saying this succinctly and bluntly:

When it comes to issues such as buffer size, and other items about
which the user should not be forced to care or educate themselves, it
is our general project policy to fix the bugs, not offer new and
confusing settings.  We will not be offering editable DB values for
these items, and we will not be offering a UI to tweak them.  We will,
however, work diligently to solve the underlying problem that makes
the modification of source necessary in the first place.  For those
issues without open tickets, please open tickets with samples.  For
those issues with open tickets, please do provide any information
requested by myth developers, and feel free to ask questions on the
mailing lists if you want to participate in the troubleshooting
process.

Note that the above project ethos comes from extensive negative
experience in offering such settings, and a long, slow, difficult
climb out of the pit having them dug for us.  I don't want anyone to
think that their opinion isn't being listened to, but it would be
disingenuous to have anyone believe that we are going to do anything
but the above.  This includes offering such settings "temporarily."

Robert