[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

Kyle Rose krose at krose.org
Tue May 31 15:01:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 May 2011 22:26, Kyle Rose <krose at krose.org> wrote:
>>> So my current thinking is that the increased buffer size is just
>>> masking some inefficiency/performance issue with the remote file
>>> access.
>>
>> This is the whole point of buffering. :-)
>
> Sure - but there is far more to this than the buffer size and it needs
> a proper fix.

Right, but until there is a proper fix (and to provide workarounds for
other unforeseen problems), it would be nice to have the dials in a
form other than source code.

And I should clarify my statement: the whole point of buffering is to
smooth out uneven source performance. I don't want anyone to think
that buffering will help when the source bandwidth is just too slow
for the content in the steady-state. That is not the case here.