[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 27 18:41:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 02:25:47PM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> The Atom is a terrible design.  They threw away the branch predictor,
> out of order execution, and all the bits that make superscaler
> architectures actually work well, in the name of cutting transistor
> count.  Do note that it was _not_ done in the name of power efficiency,
> since they cut out all the processor gating and clock scaling (in the
> desktop versions) that would otherwise make it draw less power when
> idle.  It was done to be cheap, plain and simple.

Sure.  I suspect it does save a bit of power by not having those
transistors, although overall it looses out by taking a lot longer to
get the job done.  They also turned off 64bit on mobile versions for no
apparent reason.  Intel likes turning things off that they already put
in the die.

If intel belives the atom can compete against ARM, they they are crazy.

--
Len Sorensen