[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 27 16:43:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 09:33:54AM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> My observation, though not backed up by any rigorous performance
> testing, is that the Atom is roughly equivalent to a Pentium 4 in
> terms of performance on video display (decode/scale/deinterlace) and
> compiling the myth source code.  I don't think the computational
> requirements of mythbackend have changed much since the days when the
> Pentium 4 was king, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to use an Atom for
> the backend.  (Note that I'm well aware of anti-Atom positions like
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/448321#448321 .)

The atom at 1.6GHz is roughly equivalant to a Pentium 3 at 800 to 1000Mhz
on most things.  The Pentium 4 was especially bad at some tasks which
made it really slow at times (I had one case where a 2ghz athlon 64 did
the same task 5 times faster than a 2.8ghz P4).

The P4 was simply a bad design.  The atom isn't a bad design, but one
has to be aware of the tradeoffs made in the design in some cases.

--
Len Sorensen