[mythtv] MythTV Licensing Question

Joseph Irvine joseph at irvinemail.org
Fri May 20 03:02:01 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am working on a commercial project. We have done some prototyping with
MythTV for use in a potential DVR set-top box production.

I wondered if there is a commercial license available for MythTV? We can't
really use the GNU GPL license. We license code from 3rd parties that we
can't redistribute or release as open source. Some of our own technologies
are covered under patent and preclude sharing code.

One example, for instance, is managing the HDCP code and associated license
keys that would be required to be kept confidential to ensure the protection
of their technology.

The long and short is that we are almost certainly going to need to seek
another platform. However, we have been pleased with MythTV and, as a
result, would be willing to pay for its usage. Are there any possibilities
for licensing from the original owner?

I have heard there are ways to get around this by stashing code in DLLs and
other modules removed from the original code. If we could encase our
proprietary code, and licensed code, such as HDCP, in libraries, would that
be a possibility to avoid releasing the sensitive portions of our project?

Thank you,
Joseph Irvine