[mythtv] Mythvideo DVD ripping

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed May 11 06:20:15 UTC 2011

>> The ripping process would not take more than a few minutes, and the user
>> would only have to keep mythfrontend open.  In that event, there would
>> be no advantage of using an external daemon.

> Given that it's already implemented that way then a daemon is no
disadvantage.

I have many DVDs with intentionally introduced errors that make any
complete sector by sector rips take hours using something like
ddrescue.  Wouldn't a similar approach tie up the front-end for an
unreasonable period of time?  Personally, I'd never use the feature,
but I figured I should throw it out there.

On the other hand, a combination of the discussed job-based
transcoding, storage groups, and something like a command-line ISO
importer would be huge for my configuration and usage patterns.

If someone was to provide a sample snippet for a libmyth app that
sticks an ISO into a storage group, I'd commit to flushing that out
into a fairly comprehensive CLI importer.