[mythtv] Mythvideo DVD ripping

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Mon May 9 16:15:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

Sadly this commit:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/9c9c2ed108455e162b702d88885abefaee5b6840
removed the myth transcode daemon (mtd) from MythVideo for the 0.24
release and hence disabled DVD ripping.

I run a dedicated MythTV box with no other UI so that poses a bit of a
problem when it comes to DVD ripping.  So I resurrected the mtd code
from git, fixed the main problems in its use and have integrated that
into fixes/0.24.  The patch is here:

http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/Mythvideo-restore-DVD-ripping.patch.bz2

It requires no significant changes to fixes/0.24 other than to start the
dvdripbox from the main mythvideo event handler, the remainder of the
patch is new/restored source and xml files.

There are a number of changes to the original dvdripbox and mtd code to
fix API changes and fix UI and operational problems but the code is
largely intact and now works, I believe, as was intended.

I would very much like to see this feature re-integrated into 0.25 or
later.  What do other users and developers think?

I did discover one small change to libmythmetadata that is necessary if
you make iso images.  An iso image is a block copy of the original DVD.
On playback an encrypted DVD image must be decrypted with libdvdcss
which is not available if the image is read from a storage group using
the myth: protocol.  Notably, videos that are accessible both by file
and via a storage group are, at the moment, accessed using the storage
group and hence encrypted DVD images cannot be viewed.

The following small patch to the video directory scan logic ensures that
a file which is accessible via both methods is only accessed by the file
path:

http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/libmythmetadata-Prefer-local-pathnames-to-myth-URLs.patch

Comments, bug reports etc most welcome.

--