[mythtv] Ticket locking and a PulseAudio fix

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Mon May 9 14:00:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 9 May 2011 08:12:24 -0500
Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I wish to express my concern at how tickets are sometimes being
> > handled by the developers, in particular with regard to how
> > PulseAudio users are being treated as second-class citizens. Now I
> > know that some of you have strong opinions about PulseAudio and you
> > are obviously entitled to those opinions. You are even entitled to
> > refuse your time to work on PulseAudio issues yourselves but please
> > do not lock such tickets without good reason. This prevents users
> > from talking about these issues or even providing possible fixes
> > without posting to this list as I am doing today.
> >

> My only comment on this is that this is *exactly* why the ticket is
> locked. It has been said time and time again.  Discussions occur on
> the discussion list.  The TRAC system for this project is not to be
> used as a conversation archive or discussion forum and, as such,
> tickets are locked when it occurs. This is not a slight against the
> ticket reporter, commenter, or the bug in question.  It is simply a
> mechanism to keep the ticket record clear of excess comments.

That's fair enough and I'll be sure to come here in future. As someone
who hasn't subscribed to these lists before and simply found the ticket
through Google, I was not aware of that. Simply locking the ticket
doesn't really come across that way, especially when you also see
comments like "I highly recommend nuking all traces of pulseaudio from
any system where you intend to use audio." You could forgive me for
thinking that the developers were being less than helpful. Thank you
for clearing this up anyway.

Regards,
James