[mythtv] MythVideo: iPhone Videos are Inverted

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 02:05:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My wife got an iphone 4 last week and has taken a ton of videos since.
>>  I uploaded them to Myth last night but when I playback the MOV files
>> in MythVideo or VLC, they are inverted (as in upside down).  But they
>> display properly in quicktime and on Viddler which makes me think
>> there's some sort of orientation indicator in the video metadata.
>> Anyone know of any plans for Myth to do something similar?  If not
>> I'll take a stab at it.
>
> There probably *is* an orientation indicator, but this should be
> handled by ffmpeg/libavformat, so that's where you should look to add
> support (at which point we will inherit it).
>
> Robert

Moving this over to the dev list...

So I see where I need to parse the metadata in the ffmpeg/libavformat
MOV demuxer and understand that would be an upstream ffmpeg patch.

I also see ffmpeg has vf_vflip filter which will flip the video as I
need and that libavfilter is included as a part of myth's ffmpeg fork
as of .24 - but I don't see any myth code currently using the ffmpeg
filters.  Is that last part correct?

So it seems I'd need to submit 2 patches:  1) to ffmpeg upstream for
the MOV demuxer 2) to myth to check the new MOV metadata and execute
the flip with the ffmpeg filter.

Thanks
Dave